TRIBUTE FOR BRO















Osoch Ogun, who doubles up as my writing mentor opines that disquietude, injustice, darkness and suffering lie behind the most prolific pieces of literature. Wasn't Ngugi wa Thiongo's Devil on the Cross informed by the rampant corruption in this country of mine Kenya? And wasn't it racial discrimination that prompted Mandela to author his masterpiece, Long Walk to Freedom? As such, I am in no position to contest Osoch Ogun's opinion.

This piece you're about to read was as well informed by disquietude. And I realised my heart would not be at rest till I put the words that were churning in my mind to paper. Writing relieves.

Ooh, and by the way, that guy you see in the picture is my brother, now late. His name is, or rather was, Ronald. At home we were however used to 'Misiani'. From where I come no one is called by his formal English name. I know you are wondering the reason for this, but to your chagrin, I also dont happen know why. Maybe its culture or tradition. I dont care anyway.

              WHEN HE WAS HERE
  When he was here
  We planned each tomorrow
  With him in mind
  For we saw no parting
  Looming beyond the horizon

  When he was here
  We joked and laughed together
  And no fleeting shadow of our ghosts
  Ever crossed our paths

  Day by day we lived
  On this side of the mist
  And never was there a prompt
  That his hours were running fast

  When he was gone
  Through gazed eyes we searched
  Beyond the mists and among the shadows
  For we couldn't believe he was gone

  We couldn't believe he was dead!


How was that? Well here's another one.

                         BROTHER
  Brother
  Was it not just the other day
  When in earnest, it was consented 
  To send you abroad for elucidation
  To come make a life for pa and ma?

  Brother,I ask
  Was it not just the other day
  When joyously we connived
  To go revelling in that old choma joint
  And make merry while the heart beats?

  Brother,tell me
  Was it not so long ago
  When in the brisk wind we sat
  With apt intents to go fishing
  And bring home a shoal for all?

  But brother
  Tell me, enlighten me
  Why did you breach our covenant
  Why did you not broach a word
  Over your unprecedented safari?
  
  Brother
  I, of all your kindred
  Am exasperated and indignated
  By this callous departure
  Ciao ad infinitum brother.

Well, that's it from this page. Till next time.

©oiraqaleb esq.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IT IS DONE

POST HIGHSCHOOL

RESHAPING THE BLUEPRINT